Saturday, January 12, 2008

Bangalore, shmangalore...

OK, despite the best efforts of the airlines, I managed to make it to Bangalore.

It all started with the shmucks at PDX and Alaska Airlines making me stand in the long line for no apparent reason other than they had made up their minds as to where I should be waiting. After nearly missing my initial flight, I arrive in LAX only to be given ambiguous assessments as to whether or not I would make my connection to Paris through Cincinnati. Guess what, I got to spend the night in Cinci... Next day, my flight took off late and I "feared" I would get stuck in Paris, but it was not to be. Two takeaways, LAX SUX and CDG Paris is a close second...

All that said, the final flight to Bangalore had some "interesting" aspects. The flight began with and explanation about how they were going to spray the inside of the plane with insect repellent. It came with an "don't worry, it's not bad for you, the passenger". Immediately after the announcement, here comes the stewardesses down both aisles, a can in each hand spewing tons of bug killer into the cabin. I wonder if Kevin and Mike had the same experience... I'll try to get it on video if they do it on my return flight.

The next interesting part was the flight plan. It started out ok by flying over the Alps, but then we got a good section of Turkey and here's where it got dicey, with us flying over Iran, Iraq and Pakistan. It's very comforting when the map shows your plane right over the top of Mosul... thankfully, I was able to sleep through most of that as to not drive me paranoid.

Anyway, I fly out to Hyderabad tomorrow. Quick summary, I agree with Allen, they use their horns way too much here, the food kicks butt, the people are super nice, and man are the hotels expensive!

-P

5 comments:

JW said...

Maybe you could use a Hepa Mask for your next trip.

P & M said...

Man, you're not kidding. I basically used a pillow to breathe through for the next 10 minutes.

I am not willing to somehow trust that a chemical toxic enough to kill all of the insects on the plane would be completely harmless to a human.

While it may actually be just that selective, this guy's going to err on the side of caution.

-P

JW said...

I agree if it can kill a bunch of hard-core bugs, it probably is not good for your lung tissue.

Anonymous said...

I've never been sprayed on a plane. But don't take it personal, Pat.

You would think the spraying would happen on the way OUT of India, not into it!

KC

P & M said...

That's exactly what I was thinking... why on the way over.
Anyway, my biggest bummer is that I left my book on the plane that I bought in Borders at the airport in Cinci. On the upside, they had it at the local airport when I flew to Hyderabad... for half the price

-P