Friday, May 29, 2009

Crazy two weeks

It seems like the whirlwind of activities haven't subsided yet for us. Last week was spent attending a funeral, boyscout meetings, talent show practices, field trip and building a raised bed. The highlight of last week is the field trip. The students went to a Wildlife Nature preserve in Sherwood,OR in style. They were riding in style and it was grand. The school rented a double decker bus which is the only kind in OR and has been on the road only twice, first for the 4th graders and the 1st graders being second. The bus is just enormous, everybody of course sat at the upper deck and the lower deck was empty. The parent helpers were not allowed in the bus for liability and insurance restrictions apparently. Anyway, the bus had a bathroom, tv and some fancy accessories which was exciting for the kids. They sure had a good kick out of their fancy ride. The field trip was nice specially since it was very sunny that day. Next highlight is building the raise beds, it took us about two days to build the whole thing. Even Joshua helped in pounding in the 2 inch stakes using the 5lb mallet. So now, we have some tomatoes,peppers, zuchinni, cucumbers, cabbages and hopefully some okra,eggplant,long beans and peas there sometime soon. We built a 4x8 ft long raise bed so it is a pretty good size.


Here's the fancy ride for their field trip...

This week was all about helping the boy finish his school project, Grandma's finals, boyscout meetings again, field trip again and talent show. Joshua and his friend Ethan did a great job with their talent show. No, they didn't do a hiphop dance as they were planning but instead we got them to do basketball tricks. The boys did a good job despite of them dropping the ball a couple times. At least they were brave enough to sign up for it. It was great watching the kids present their talents, most of them played their musical instrument of choice, a couple boys did a human chess game and some girls danced. School is almost over and so it is nice to see that the kids are doing more fun stuff towards the end. They are actually done with most of their academics and so it is mostly just fun stuff now. I am volunteering twice a week to help the teachers with the students during swimming. It is great to see the kids get better at swimming with the short period of time they've had. I guess overall, I would rate this school year a really good year. I have seen a lot of improvements on Joshua both academically and as a person in general. I am glad we got in to this school. I have no regrets so far.


I have a video of Joshua's talent show but I will have to do some editing since P took a video of the whole thing even the interview part of the program so it is a pretty huge file. We'll see what I can do.

4 comments:

JW said...

Man, the field trip dues must have gone up with the use of that bus!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how thrilled kids are with something as simple as a ride in a bus? Although I must admit, that IS SOME BUS!

Grandma Judy

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be thrilled with a ride in that bus too...
Simple mind here
A

P & M said...

Oh I'd be thrilled as well. We tried our best to ride with them but we were rejected :(

-M