Friday, May 8, 2009

Genes

Joshua's teacher mentioned to me before to have his eyes checked since he has been doing a lot of squinting in class and just more recently has actually complained about not being able to read things from a distance. So, I took Shua to the eye doctor today and indeed he needs glasses. It is not a strong prescription glasses and he doesn't need to use it all the time. He only needs it in class or when he needs to read things from a distance. The optometrist mentioned that since he is very young, it is highly probable that it is genetic and is not due to him reading a lot. She didn't think kids his age read that much :)

That was the first diagnosis, then came another one - the optometrist has a strong suspicion that he is also color blind. When she did her test, she asked Joshua to tell what numbers he can see from the book and he only managed to read 1 out of 10. When she showed me the book, the numbers were definitely visible and so it was very surprising that Joshua didn't see any. Again, she turns her head to me and asked me if there is anybody in the family who is color blind...and I really didn't know if there is anybody who is color blind in the family. It doesn't matter anyway if it was genetic or what. The thing is you can't fix color blindness but at least you can still function normally - but of course there goes the chance of Joshua becoming a Pilot in the future! When he heard that, he just simply said - I don't want to become a Pilot anymore anyway, I'll just be a race car driver...

2 comments:

JW said...

At least he did not invest so much of his life wanting to be a pilot like the kid in "Little Miss Sunshine"

Anonymous said...

I don't recall anyone being color blind in the family. Maybe I am, though, since I dressed Pat in those hideous plaid pants when he was young! Mom